It looks like a smartphone, but the Ascom Myco 2™ is really the control hub for our open, powerful, comprehensive healthcare platform.
- Seamlessly connects users with colleagues, patients, labs, pharmacies, porters, cleaners, and other medical devices such as patient monitors and nurse call systems
- Merges data from multiple sources and displays it as meaningful information to help frontline staff make the best decisions on the move
- Enables collaboration by removing workflow bottlenecks, and sends reports to administrative and analytical systems.
Why nurses need more efficient communication tools
Time a nurse spends communicating.
Time writing is excluded 
Number of staff per patient
Average during a four-day hospital stay 
Root cause of medication error
Communication failure are no. 1 root cause 
Communication still non-digital
Nurses still communicate mainly person-to-person 
Alarm hazards are hospitals’ number one technology health hazard. 
Nurses spend less than one fifth of their time on direct patient care. 
What is the Ascom Healthcare Platform?
The Ascom Healthcare Platform is an open, powerful software platform for integrated workflow intelligence, systems, applications and mobility solutions.
Information is analyzed and presented in a controlled, secure manner to the right person, at the right time, in the right place. Put simply, the platform realizes the potential of digitalization by removing barriers to truly mobile communication and collaboration.
By capturing vital signs, alarms and other data from bedside equipment in patient rooms, ICUs, ORs and other wards, our software can process events and requests from patients and clinical staff and pull together mission-critical information from multiple sources:
- Patient monitors
- Infusion pumps and other bedside medical equipment
- Nurse call systems
- EMR/EHR systems
- Voice and Text
- Images and barcodes
How do you enable the Ascom Healthcare Platform?
Deploy the Ascom Myco smartphone with Unite Context software to your facility’s clinical care teams. Other Ascom handsets and even non-Ascom devices can also use Unite Context. But as the smart device purpose-built for healthcare, the Ascom Myco is optimized to deliver the full power and benefits of the platform.
What are the benefits of the Ascom Healthcare Platform?
Clinicians are faced with challenges every day as they strive to provide the best possible care to patients. Unite Context is a key component in the Ascom healthcare platform, bridging the clinical information gap between back-end systems, EHRs, and the front-end workflow for seamless information management in acute-care settings. Natively integrated on the Ascom Myco 2 smart phone, Unite Context is a comprehensive, enterprise-grade application that enables clinicians to view and manage all patients under their care. It is also available as a standalone app for iOS, Android™ for BYOD implementations and Windows® desktop, supporting the entire care team with a consistent user experience across all platforms.
Designed to tackle workflow inefficiencies such as the need to multi-task and juggle multiple interruptions, Unite Context is highly intuitive and handles complex, disparate sources of information and communication, mobilizes it, and connects the dynamic team of caregivers regardless of their location within a facility.
The Ascom Myco 2 smart phone – Inspired by caregivers.
From its unique top display and durable casing to its sturdy carrying clip and easy-to-read screen, every aspect of the Ascom Myco 2 was designed for the specific challenges of the healthcare environment.
The Ascom Myco 2. Designed by professionals. Used by professionals.
The top display lets users quickly assess incoming alarm notifications.
- Each incoming alert has an associated icon and can be further enriched by text. Easy to reach push-button in case of emergency.
- Color-coded LED priority beacon for quick, easy recognition of alert types.
- Alert details are simultaneously presented on the screen.
The carrying clip evenly distributes the device’s weight across a large surface area of thin fabric.
- Sturdy clip. Holds firmly onto even a single layer of fabric. Perfect for clinicians’ scrubs.
- Exchangeable color-coded ID tag for easy identification.
Doctors and nurses work long shifts. And thanks to its high-capacity power pack, so does the Ascom Myco. The battery delivers up to 35 hours of stand-by time.
- Easy to replace battery.
- Charged via USB connector, or on customized multi-slot charging rack.
- Approximately 70% capacity left after 400 fullcharge/discharge cycles.
some devices have it all
The Ascom Myco housing is made from tough Lexan EXL resin. This, together with sturdy construction, makes the device ideal for demanding hospital environments.
- Tested and certified to withstand disinfection agents.
- Dust- and water-resistant to IP54 standard.
- The housing material provides exceptional impact resistance and superior temperature ductility.
- Rear-facing barcode scanner for comfort and ease of use.
- Easy integration with healthcare operations.
- Enterprise-grade barcode decoding engine.
- Support for 1D and 2D barcode scanning.
Near Field Communication
- Antenna positioned on back of handset for easy of use.
- Enterprise-grade NFC tag and reader.
- Supports NFC Forum types 1-4.
Infrared (IR) location
- Infrared (IR) reciever in top of the device.
- Use with IR beacons to locate an Ascom Myco handset with room-level accuracy.
- Unaffected by indoor lighting under normal circumstances.
- Can save precious time when responding to a personnel alarm.
- Use your existing Wi-Fi infrastructure to postion Ascom Myco.
- Certified interoperability with the Ekahau positioning system.
GMS is a collection of Google™ most popular applications and APIs that can be enabled on Ascom Myco 2.
- Once activated, GMS installs Gmail, Calendar, Google Chrome, the Google Play store, etc.
- GMS activation gives easy access to 1,000,000+ apps.
- GMS activation may disable some mission-critical functionality in the Ascom Myco 2.
- Activation of GMS is irreversible.
Ascom Unite Device Manager is a single point of administration for Ascom Myco. It lets you manage the following:
- Firmware updates
- Install/uninstall/hide apps
- Network configuration
- Device settings
- In-charger behavior
- Remote data wipe
- Deployment through QR-code
Sandboxing and mission-critical extended OS:
- Supports user authentication
- Sandboxing restricts privileges of running apps and permits only intended functionalty.
- Uses Transport Layer Security (TLS) encryption. Ensures data is encrypted regardless of carrier (i.e. Wi-Fi or 3G).
- Safeguards against man-in-the-middle attacks and rogue devices.
- Mission-critical extension of the OS prioritizes essential apps and services, and re-launches in case of technical interruptions.
The Ascom Product Protection Plan offers:
- Regular updates of software and functionality.
- Replacement of Ascom Myco units that have been accidentally damaged.
- Prioritized repair service available.
- Remote technical support is available.
- Interoperability service gives you access to interoperability test reports performed on Ascom Myco.
1. Coiera, E. (2006). Communication Systems in Healthcare. Clinical Biochemist Reviews, [online] 27(2), p.89. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1579411/ [15 Mar. 2016].
2. O’Daniel, M. and Rosenstein, A. (2008). Professional Communication and Team Collaboration. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US). [online] Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK2637/ [Accessed 30 Mar. 2016].
3. ECRI Institute (2014) Top 10 Health Technology Hazards for 2015 [online] available from
4. Hendrich, A., Chow, MP., Skierczynski, BA., Lu, Z. (2008) ‘A 36-Hospital Time and Motion Study: How Do Medical-Surgical Nurses Spend Their Time?’ The Permanente Journal 12 (3), 25-34
Specific functions and features of the Ascom Myco 2 might require additional Ascom products to be installed.
The availability, configuration and technical specifications of Ascom products, services and solutions may vary from country to country. Please ask your nearest Ascom representative for further details.